Friday, September 19, 2008

A Long day of traveling...finally Pisa!

Well, I made it to Italia all in one piece! I boarded the Peoria Charter to go to Chicago Thursday morning and arrived in Pisa on Friday at 1:20 pm. Italy is 7 hours ahead so if you do the math it was almost 24 hours...that included several hours of layover in Boston and Madrid. I met several people along the way which is the fun part of traveling solo!

A lot of people warned me that I would be mistaken for an Italian and it has definitely happened.. Actually, in Boston I had a security guard speak Spanish to me when I asked for directions to the International gate. "Donde va?" he asked me and it was kinda cool that my high school Spanish classes came in handy. I told him where I was going and he gave me directions. It was a little overwhelming in the Madrid airport enroute to Italy. I wasn't sure if I should say gracias or grazie. Already in some of the shops the people have been asking me if I'm Italia or they will just start talking to me. I've been trying to use some of my limited Italian that I have been learning from a cd the past month. They figure out fairly quick that I'm American.

I was picked up from the airport by a staff member from Hotel Francesca where I'm staying with another lady that is on the trip. Janet had arrived yesterday and scoped out what there is to see of Pisa. So far in the short time I've been here I took a tour of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, ate some gelato which is wonderful, and roamed the streets.

Tomorrow we meet up with the rest of the group and begin the bike tour in Tuscany. It was raining when I arrived, but it cleared up. There is rain in the forecast tomorrow but hopefully it will pass. At least the rain here seems to be more of a drizzle. I'm determined that I will not let it ruin this trip.

The hotel computer is a nightmare. it took forever to log on and the back button is stuck down so every now and then it erases what Iàm writing. There are some people waiting to use it so I need to end this.

Just wanted everyone to know that I made it safe and sound. Exhausted, but excited!

Ciao!

6 comments:

The Wietholder's said...

glad you arrived safely...I am sure you are meeting lots of people...you are a friendly one! Have fun, be careful...enjoy the scenery

LOVE YOU

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you arrived safely and are having fun! Your little girl and I did 6.25 miles this morning and I think she enjoyed it. Now she sleeps. ;) Have a great time!

Shower Hosts - Genny and Olivia said...

Glad to hear that you made it! I can't wait to read more about your trip!

Miranda Lee Kemp said...

Gosh... sounds like so much fun already! I can't wait to read more and see your photos!!! Be careful!

Katie Heupel said...

Congrats on the successful arrival and thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Great to hear that you're meeting new people and having fun! I hope the ride is going well.

Looks like the weather forecast is great for the coming days!

Ciao Bella!

Unknown said...

Hey Leann! This is Nicole. We miss you here! I hope you are having a blast and the weather is good for you. Take care and see you soon!